Sunday, January 31, 2016

Reddit and What I Found There

Kopecky, Michelle. "Advertising on Reddit" 11/19/2010 via wikispaces. Public Domain Dedication License

This blog post will be about what I found on Reddit when I searched "pre-med" which is my major.


A lot of what I found on reddit was support threads for pre-med students. There were a lot of threads designated to let pre-med student vent out all of their frustration and talk about the similar problems they are facing.  There is also threads that current of former medicals students talk to pre-med college students about the problems they will face and also give them advice on how to handle these problems.  Lastly, there is a lot of threads with doctors that are allowing anyone to ask them questions about anything. 

One of the threads I found interesting can be found here. It was debate about whether a guy, who was a senior in college and a computer science major and suddenly wants to switch to pre-med, would be able to get into medical school.  I found this interesting because I can see myself being in that guys shoes. I do not yet know what I want to major in or even what I want to be in life. I walked in to college wanting to go to medical school but I can also see myself doing a variety of other things. 

However, I am scared to end up like him because he went down a major  all the way to senior year and then found out he wanted to go to medical school but that it may be to late. Right now, I want to go to medical school which is why I am taking the classes I am and I am hoping that I do not change my mind because it may be to late for me to start from scratch.

The second thread I found interesting can be found here. This was a debate on what surprised current medical students the most about medical school. I found this interesting because I am interested in going to medical school and, like the person who posted the blog stated, want to be prepared for anything I may face. 

A point that hit home for me in the debate was that it is ok to attend an average medical school because average is still above average. As I stress about my future, this really relaxed me and made me worry less about this whole procedure.

Like on Twitter, people on reddit seem to be stressing out over my major. At the same time there appears to be a lot of support from not only doctors but people who  are currently in medical school. Overall, it all seems worth it and I know the path may be hard but it will all be worth it in the end.  

No comments:

Post a Comment